Amanda S. Smith
Amanda’s unusual path to becoming a labor and employment attorney began with earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees in neuroscience at Allegheny College and Kent State University, respectively. After determining that a career in science ultimately was not for her, she took a job as a legal assistant following her graduate studies, and immediately fell in love with law.
That first position at a plaintiff’s side labor and employment firm quickly evolved into enrolling in classes at the University of Akron School of Law, where she eventually earned her juris doctor degree, summa cum laude.
Her experience to-date as a management-side labor and employment attorney has led to some lively discussions at the dinner table back home with her father (a police chief) and mother (a former union president).
Amanda has found the work to be both fascinating and fulfilling. She represents employers in many types of labor and employment matters, including charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Ohio Civil Rights Commission and other state fair employment practice agencies. She also counsels employers on litigation, arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution matters, as well as wage/hour compliance, performance and leave management, discipline, and workplace policies.
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
Amanda is a native of Falconer, N.Y., near Chautauqua Lake. She and her husband, Brian, are enjoying a joyfully chaotic time of life raising two young boys. Amanda likes to stay active and enjoys spending time outdoors with her family, friends and rescue dog, particularly in the park systems around the area.
The Akron resident and her husband are self-proclaimed foodies who like to sample the fare at various Northeast Ohio dining establishments.
- Allegheny College, B.S., 2007
- Kent State University, M.S., 2009
- The University of Akron School of Law, The University of Akron, J.D., summa cum laude, 2014
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Akron Bar Association
- Member, Akron Area SHRM
- Member, Women’s Network of Northeast Ohio
- Member, ATHENA Akron
Publications and Presentations
- Ohio Human Resources Manual, American Chamber of Commerce Resources, January 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Up in Smoke: Employers Weed Out Their Options Regarding Ohio’s New Medical Marijuana Law, KWW Annual Client Seminar, 2016
- How Public Sector Employers Can Comply with Ohio’s New Ban-the-Box Legislation, Northeast Ohio Regional Library System, February 2016
- Hiring and Terminating Employees in the Current Economy, Sterling Seminar, August 2015
Civic/Charitable Activities and Associations
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, Board Member
- Fairlawn Area Chamber of Commerce Board Member