Michael P. Karst
Michael devotes his practice to litigating claims on behalf of employers involved in termination, wage/hour, and labor disputes. He also counsels clients on a wide variety of day-to-day workplace concerns, including leave management, accommodations, and payroll practices.
He routinely defends claims involving the Fair Labor Standards Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and comparable state laws. Michael takes a practical approach to litigation that considers the most efficient method to resolving claims either through resolution or early motions to dismiss. When matters do not resolve, Michael is an accomplished trial attorney who feels comfortable taking a case to verdict.
Prior to joining KWW, Michael worked at a local labor-side law firm where he gained insight on how employers can avoid disputes before they occur. Michael’s experience also provides him with practical knowledge on how and when to negotiate with employees and their attorneys.
Michael prides himself on the personal attention given to each client. He strives to return phone calls and emails promptly and ensures that he keeps clients up to date on the status of their matter. Michael also understands that workplace questions can arise at any time. For that reason, Michael is happy to schedule phone calls and meetings outside normal business hours to ensure that all client needs are met.
Other Personal Background Information and Interests
Michael is a native of the small town of Huntington, Indiana, which is most known for being the birthplace of former Vice President Dan Quayle. Michael is the latest of five generations of attorneys from his family, and his grandfather’s briefcase sits next to Michael’s desk as a reminder of his family’s love of the law. In his free time, Michael is an avid basketball fan of the Butler University Bulldogs and Utah Jazz. Michael and his family reside in Copley Township.
- University of Akron School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 2013
- Butler University, B.A. Electronic Media & Political Science, with honors, 2010
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2017-Present
- Vice President of Membership, Akron Bar Association, 2020-Present
- Board of Directors, Ohio Association for Justice, 2018-2020
- Member, Akron Bar Association Labor & Employment Section, 2013-Present
- Member, Akron Bar Association Human Resources Committee, 2017
- Certificate in Litigation, University of Akron School of Law, 2013
Publications and Presentations
- Understanding Unconscious Bias and its Effect in the Workplace, 2021
- The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021: Three Key Pieces Employers Need to Know Now, 2021
- Preparing for the Next HR Challenge: The Covid-19 Vaccine, HR Leadership Group of Northeast Ohio, 2021
- A Primer on Effective Performance Management, 2020
- The Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Coverage, Implementation, and Administration, 2020
- Confronting Sexual Harassment in the Chemistry Laboratory, 2018
- Labor & Employment Law 101, Akron Bar Association, 2018
- Employee Relations: Legal Solutions for Sensitive Workplace Issues, National Business Institute, 2017
Civic/Charitable Activities and Associations
- Member, Copley Township Zoning Commission
- Volunteer, Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank
- Instructor, University of Akron School of Law Summer Trial Academy
- Coach, University of Akron School of Law, Mock Trial Team
- Judge, Ohio Center for Law-Related Education High School Mock Trial Competition